Friday, September 16, 2016

My Journey

To start off, this blog is about different kinds of music & the culture that goes along with this generation.. and it's coming from the eyes of someone trying to make it in music. I felt like starting off with my own journey in music was necessary. Right now i'm a student, a published author, a songwriter, a recording artist and a regular 21 year old. Here's my story.

Ever since I was little, I use to sing for my family, who told me "Dan, you're actually pretty good". Thankfully my parents have always been supportive of me no matter what I was doing, which I think has helped me in more ways that I realize. When I was a kid I just went to school, sang in the car and would just enjoy every second of it, thinking nothing of it. When I was in middle school I started to sing for my friends and got a reaction that only built my confidence to do what I love. They all would say "teach me how to sing",  "let's do a duet together".  I would laugh because I had no idea how to sing professionally, but it's something that always was natural for me. At one point, my siblings all wanted to start a band together..thankfully that never happened.

As I got older and went off to High School, I started to think of how I could take this hobby and actually do something with it. 9th grade was when I started to post some cover songs on Youtube but wasn't very open about it with my classmates. I was a shy young girl that just kind of sang because I loved it, but not everyone was as supportive as my family and friends. When some classmates found my videos online, they put me down and made fun, and I was hurt so I decided to take some time off from posting. I doubted myself for a while but slowly started to regain the confidence I once had. A year went by and I was ready to see what I could do in music again, so I thought of instruments I could try to learn if I didn't want to sing. I bought a DJ set which I thought was super cool at the time. I practiced and tried and eventually gave up on it. I sold the DJ equipment and went onto the next. I bought a guitar and tried it and became extremely frustrated that I wasn't as great as I had hoped. So I put down the guitar and thought about what I know I can do. A year later ( my senior year of high school ) I bought a studio microphone and a ukulele and recorded my first cover in a long time. I learned how to play my favorite song on the Uke and it felt incredible to be back at something that I was so passionate about. I recorded a few and put them up, and then I went to college.

When I was a freshman in college I was so busy trying to make friends, have fun and do schoolwork that I put off the video making to maybe once every few months. Eventually I got too busy and stopped, but the summer going into my Senior year of college changed everything for me. I was looking at internships for the summer and came across a recording studio in New York that really sparked my interest. I sent in my resume and got a call saying that when I come back home I will have an interview with the owner, who's a HUGE producer/engineer. He helped create " U Smile" by Justin Bieber and is constantly working with artists like Miguel, Chris Brown and French Montana. I went for the interview and was hired, instantly falling in love with the industry all over again. My job was doing paperwork and making sure clients are happy, and two weeks into it I had some free time and wrote my first song at my desk. I worked on it for a few weeks and was so serious about making this song legit, so I found a studio near me and worked with an awesome producer and engineer to help create my first single. I'm now working on an EP (which I write my own lyrics and it's very special to me) , getting ready to release my first song, and just having fun doing what I love. Social media platforms are my go to to help spread the word about my music. The lifestyle of celebrities and artists in general is something I was around this summer, so I can't wait to continue writing about it for this class and to keep going with my own dream. Thanks for reading.

Dani Max

No comments:

Post a Comment